Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Gridding, Raptor Thighs & Chosen Fabric

 Haven't updated lately because I waited for Foam Fast 74 to come in, which is supposed to work WAY better than Super 77. Super 77 hardly works at all and I'm sure Foam Fast will work much better than it. Although not one store in my entire county had even heard of it, hardware, craft, upholstery, nobody even knew what it was. I ordered from Zoro Tools on eBay for $16 and it shipped the same day, arrived 3 days later. Totally recommend them.
 For the patterning we used the above image and made a grid on acetate to transfer it over. The legs need to be symmetric and this was the best way about going around it. The math is aggravating but very much worth it in the end. 
 I believe the grids for the thighs are 2.5 inches, but I might be remembering wrong. It was a bit tedious and we ended up coloring the sheet so we could keep up with the layering. The kneecap will be added last and I will not be offering these patterns for others to use, at least not right now, sorry about that.
 All different pieces of paper. We used this brown paper my dad uses to wrap fish that we get from Office Depot, anything that's big enough will work though but we have a ton of this stuff so it works well.
 All cut out and layered up!
 While I was working on the thighs my fabric sample came in! It's from Spandex World, the one on the left as the other one is the cotton lycra in dark brown. I much like this sample and intend to use it--a nylon-spandex mixture it's a rich, chocolate brown that feels like it will breathe very well and take paint well. It's matte milliskin. 
 Carved down. Probably took me about an hour to get this far, I'll probably smooth it down more depending on how it looks with the spandex skin. I may end up liking the sort of uneven texture but I may not.
 Good look at the fibers. It feels very smooth and stretches very well.
It has such a nice color to it. Anyway, I haven't done all that much lately but today or tomorrow I'll do the patterning for the calves and maybe even the ankles. I plan to redo the toes and probably the fingers too because I'm not sure if I'm happy with how they look, but that'll be fairly simple. It's coming along so well! I'll be going to Home Depot soon to get stuff for the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment